Tuesday, April 04, 2006

There's more

Words.

I was pondering the word WISDOM. (Which I incidentally have a two word definition of. Tell me yours though before I'll let you hear mine.) This word. Vague, yet poignant. I have some. Some have little. Precious few have overflowing – but you know when you meet them. – so. WISE. How do I get there? Will the mere desire (at least) aid me? Say I think about it every day. My ears and mind perk up at anyone’s mention of it. I try looking at all I do in light of its attainability to it(wisdom) through it(things I do). Will the mere symbol W-I-S-E do me good? Is much else required?

In the catholic church, overarchingly it said SANCTUS x3. What does looking at that do, if I went every Sunday? Would it help me in becoming holy? Next, how is it affected by translation?! Does it lose something, the weight behind it? (Really – at the tower of babel, what ARE the implications of that crazy story?)

Along similar lines… sorta. Is there any use or value (I’ve a feeling I’ll find out it’s an old church practice, long abandoned for some unrighteous reason or another) to, say, trying to gain virtuousness – right motives assumed, whatever that means – by choosing one to focus on each week/month or so, and thinking “how can I (be) “kind” this week – grow in gentleness – learn humility, love, maturity…”? I’ve tried and gave up…now think it’s ridiculous till a friend brought it up. Remind me of my objections – a)how would you pick which one when; how measure (or get away from that?!) success failure when you can’t know? – seems it’ll lead to either false pride or false humility feeling you’ve busted miserably. When really…it “should be Christ”? IDK b)…
Whatever.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think what is important to do in with that, is to be constantly reassessing what you are doing. looking to see if what you did was best. because in focusing only on one you may forget the others. as well it is realizing that you cannot judge your success or failure. You don't know what will in the end come of your actions. So it is do the best that you can and then re-appraise what you did.

9:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

you are brilliant

7:07 PM  
Blogger ° ÐãVeØ ° said...

Firstly, don't give up on seeking to attain wisdom. I mean, we are told to pray for wisdom in the Bible and also many great believers have done the same.
Wisdom is not lost, it is retained in those who seek it. You have to remember though, that wisdom does not come solely from studying books, although this may help. True wisdom is a gift from God, and can be found nowhere else. It is listed in the 9 gifts of the Holy Spirit (although there are more than 9) and is something that we as believers should not just seek, but claim. but what is knowledge?

I have always seen wisdom as practiced knowledge.
Knowledge is something we can gain by reading books, talking to people, and growing as a person. (As you may note, knowledge is also a gift of the Spirit, but this is a different type: it is divine knowledge.) We can be knowledgable in many things, but if we don't put it into practice, then wisdom is not present.

Never stop seeking wisdom.

4:14 AM  
Blogger Pamela Joy said...

I've heard the practiced knowledge definition a lot, but coincidentally this is the very same question I have been chasing around lately. What exactly does the BIBLE mean by wisdom. I find it is a very mulitfaceted word. Packs a lot of punch. I've been trying to gather the various characteristics the bible ties to it. This is the most inclusive definition I've discovered so far: Prov. 8:12-21. As far as applying wisdom - I think Prov. 1 is the best place to start (the fear of the Lord) and that one I try not to over think, I think it literally means fearing the Lord.
My other question is: if Solomon was the wisest man in the world how did he screw it up so bad and chase after other Gods? That doesn't seem to align at all with what the bible says about wisdom. It doesn't seem possible...
huh.
Anna! I'm coming to school with you next year! Promise to have coffee with me periodically and get in some good long chats?

10:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, my goodness... I miss talking to you. You HAVE been gifted with a lot of knowledge my dear Ana. Wisdom. Now that is not such an easy concept. Can we really understand it unless we have it and can we truly, fully have it in these broken broken bodies in this broken world? I don't know. Not knowing used to scare me a lot. This last semester, challanged by some secular philosophy-ethics classes and friends, I asked a lot of hard questons about God. I stood in church and wondered what in the world we were all doing. Christianity is just so weird. I doubted more than I ever remember doubting. I got this strange desperate feeling that I was caught in some cult and born into some insane religion. And then, ha... let's just say that God spoke to me. I will have questions for the rest of my life. And I am supposed to ask questions... seek. But I have come to the very firm conclusion that if I have to spend the rest of my life chasing and trying to understand this "crazy" God then it is the highest persuit that I could ever commit myself to. I think you are on the right track my friend. Just out of curiosity, I don't even know what you think about this, but have you ever been baptized in the Holy Spirit? Food for thought. Not that you don't have enough already! I miss you!!

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home